So, I try really hard not to make impulse purchases and to do my research before I buy something. I keep a running list of the things I'm on the lookout for. Before I buy something at full price, I haunt my favorite thrift stores, secondhand stores, and places where I have store credit to see if I can check something off the list for almost nothing. If not, and some time has passed and I still believe this thing is something that's missing from my closet, I'll pull the trigger.
Here's what's currently on my list:
1) A classic trench. I've made a few "mistake purchases" (more about that later) of trenches this year, which I'm not happy about, and it was because they weren't total classics.
2) Quality dark denim. It's been a long time since I've spent money on a really good pair of jeans. I've seen this pair on some bloggers and they seem to have a really nice fit in real life. (Side note: I tried these on in Old Navy yesterday and they have a really nice fit for 1/8 of the price. I'm tempted to get them instead, but they are made with 98% cotton and 2% spandex. The designer jeans are made with 98% cotton and 2% polyurethane, which apparently holds the shape/fit much better. Decisions, decisions.)
3) White blouse. Not sheer, I hate having to layer when something is supposed to be cool and easy! Harder to find than you'd think.
4) Slim black pants. I wear pants like this pretty much every day to work, and I've actually worn out the two pairs I currently have in the rotation. I have store credit at Ann Taylor LOFT and they seem to have lots of nice options.
5) Summer sandal. Ideally, I'd like something comfortable enough to walk around town in, classic enough so that it'll last a few seasons, yet fashion-forward enough to feel special. Not specific at all!